Pages

The little red-headed girl

Sunday, January 24, 2010


Dear Charley,

I have watched you grow for 13 years now and although Father time thinks he can sneak the years by me and make me to squint to see the past, I still remember the day of your birth so clearly, like it were yesterday.

You were two weeks overdue and there was a cold freeze in Texas that year - maybe 50 degrees or so. I figured you didn't want to come out to the cold world so I was content on having you stay inside your nice cocoon a little longer.

But when you were finally ready, you made it known that you were in a hurry and we just better hang on because this was going to get fun. I thought we weren't going to make the 40 minute drive to the hospital.
It was close but your birth was easy and relatively painless, much like you have been all these years - easy to raise, enjoy and never causing anyone pain.
I remember looking down at you in my arms. I was so happy God granted me another baby girl. I studied your face, counted your fingers and toes and took note of the "stork bites" left behind from your laborious journey.
I whispered to you that you were going to be a red-head and that you would like the name Charley. You were a quiet baby with big, observing eyes who was always comfortable everywhere we went. You let us play with you and dress you up.

I was secretly hoping I'd have a little girl with red hair to carry on that trait just like me, your grandpa, great-grandma and cousins.
But yours was to out shine all of ours by its brilliance. I always thought that God himself must have sun-kissed your head and the rays followed you to earth, reminding me always that your goodness is shiny like the sun and will always be my beacon.
How lucky am I.

Happy 13Th Birthday.
I love you,
Momma.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that was beautiful. Happy Birthday to your (not so little) little one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful post. You just have a way with words, Laura. I want a Charly in my family.
    Happy Birthday Charly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Charley!! You're lucky to have such great lineage, and such a great family to belong to. You'll be just as great of teenager as it sounds like you have been a "tween," little girl, toddler, and baby. Keep it up and enjoy your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful letter to your beautiful daughter. Happy Birthday, Charley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Charley and once again beautifully written Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been out of the loop for a while because of massive overloads of volunteering and helping the hubby with his new calling, but I'm glad you are still writing, even if my stupid blog won't update.

    That was beautiful and I will say that you have very beautiful children. I am sure they know how lucky they are to have such a loving and witty mama = )

    happy 13th to your Charley

    Now, I get to go back and read all the stuff I have missed.

    May

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say