Pages

Pick-up lines

Tuesday, May 25, 2010


Even C Dog sports the Silly Bandz


What's your sign?

Do you have a map because I get lost in your eyes.

Aside from being beautiful, what do you do for a living?

Are you from Tennessee because you're the only ten I see.

Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk by again?

These and other cheesy pick-up lines may be heard across the country in bars, on college campuses; work even. I don't know why guys resort to these. As ice breakers I guess - a way to bring in humor because no one can possibly take these seriously and think they will work, do they?

I kinda liked the normal approach, "Hi, my name is___." Or "Would you like to dance?" although I guess that would have been weird had we not been at a nightclub... In college it was, "Are you in on or off-campus housing?" or "Where are you from?" or "My roommate wants to know if you'd go out with him."

In my high school there were never any situations that involved cheesy lines. I met my husband in high school and I think it was an innocent, "Would you like to come over and have dinner with my family?" question that cemented our acquaintance to a real friendship. I did have dinner with them and we all played Trivial Pursuit afterward. I felt stupid for answering the Disney and pop culture questions correctly while they answered all of the smart questions correctly. You could tell who watched PBS and who didn't. But I liked them right away and have had many dinners there since.
And I like PBS now. Oh, and I'm better at Trivial Pursuit.

So, the other day as Jon was going through the check-out at our locally owned supermarket, Reese, our 8 year old, noticed the pretty, teen-aged employee.

Jon had to laugh when he heard Reese ask her,
"So what kinds of Silly Bandz do you have?"

Welcome the new Elementary School ice breaker...


3 comments:

  1. My 4 year old, who doesn't go to preschool or day care, just church, came home with four of these last week! Apparently, four different girls gave him one on two different days (we are at the church alot for various things). I never heard of these and never saw them. IT IS THE NEW PICK UP LINE!!! He told me to "talk to her mommy and make a play date" after the first girl gave him one. If this is starting at 4, which will I do with an 8 year old??? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you wrote those lines out. I need to tell my kids those since they are hilarious. You forgot to mention, "Is your dad a baker? because you have nice buns." Hee. Hee. Your son is sooo handsome! Watch out for all the pick-up lines he is going to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son claims he doesn't like girls--he's 4--but when there is a pretty little girl in his proximity he is watching her. hahaha.

    My husband's pick-up line, "Would you like to dance?" to which I said no. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say