Pages

A surprise awakening

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I woke up and stumbled out of bed. My lower back ached from being sandwiched between a two year-old boy and a 6 year-old dog that likes to curl up behind the bend of my knee. My hands were sore from weeding the flower bed and overgrown garden the day before. A stretch of my fingers pointing upward felt so good. After I stretched my sore muscles, I quietly slipped into the hall. The morning welcomed me and the sunlight beckoned me to the front room.

Then I walked down the hall and happened upon this sight...




A four year-old and an eight year-old were asleep on the couch. One had their foot on the other's head. After scooping them up and taking them to their beds, I surveyed the damage:
Cheerios and tortilla chip crumbs were everywhere. Toothpaste was smeared on the arm of the couch. A wet towel was on the floor; evidence of an attempt to clean. "High school musical" sheet music was thrown about, Nerf dart gun bullets had been shot and papers from the previous night's game of Charades had been used for confetti.

Apparently, they partied it up long after we went to sleep.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Linking to Design it chic

11 comments:

  1. That is pretty dang cute!
    Sounds like a wild partay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noooo! They had a party and mommy wasn't invited! Sounds like they had a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are days you'll long for once the kids are grown and gone off...although I'm sure it's hard to see how that'd be possible right now and I agree with you. Yike! That beautiful livingroom... and toothpaste too! I hope you have some aspirins.

    Haupi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Sounds like our place sometimes. Our 13 year old stays up past us but fortunately tidies up before bed or when he wakes up in the morning. Willingly! His future wife is gonna love him! Our 11 year old on the other hand is a cyclone and totally the opposite. Leaves a mess wherever he goes.

    Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words. The scarf was fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...what will the future hold? haha. Nobody had undies on their head right? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. My living room looks like this all the time! Between a toddler and two slovenly teens (who try their best but can't seem to get it) keeping the living room clean is next to impossible! Love that your two fell asleep with each other on the couch - sweet.

    xo Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm following you from Boost my blog Friday!
    KimD
    www.themomstandard.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! And yes, I'd say this is a small glimpse into your future:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been in your home, but it looks like it is filled with love, laughter, and family fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like messes and parties our kids used to surprise us with.I still have a couch from 1986 that has stains under the cushions from food, koolaid and who knows what else...it is old as the hills but we often found messes and sweet little sleeping kids there and I still can't part with it !

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my, that is too funny! You're in for it :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say