Pages

Garage thrifting

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Since it's not In the plan to get to any flea markets or thrift shops in the next little while, I thought I'd shop the garage. After all, it's free, sort of.

(Although, I am making plans to go a big flea with a friend so I'll document that journey later! Maybe I'll even shoot a video... You didn't think I'd stay away for too long, did you?)

Jon and I have made it a point to go through all of the boxes in the garage and either use what we have, sell or give-away what we don't need. I've already set out 5 boxes of items that were picked up by freecyclers. Love that. Two people came by from Craigslist today and a few other items are heading to Etsy.


It was a tough competition but something had to go. I'm the Paula Abdul of the garage storage and thinks everything has a chance. Jon is more like Randy. "Yo dog, you're cool and all but you're better suited for someone else."

But the following items are what made today's cut.

This vintage tool carrier was from my mom. I'm a sucker for these but they can be pricey. This was found at an antique mall and it was such a bargain, we couldn't pass it up. It held big jars of spices in her kitchen and I may do the same. Flowers would look so good in here too. Or herbs... any thoughts?


Although I don't buy linens as much as I used to, I still like them, especially vintage tablecloths. They are always just a little more fun to use.



I thought the price on these napkins was funny. $12.60 for a dozen of Damask Irish linen. I like it when the original price tags are left on items.

Even though I don't use doilies that much, I do think they are small pieces of artwork and I hate to part with any that were made by my family members. I've often wondered how I could modernize them a bit since I lean toward contemporary design with a vintage mix.


Then one day I was reading an old Country Living article and came across this and my question was answered. Stitch together the doilies and make a table runner. It would look great on a big table, like a large graphic design. I have plenty to work with so we'll see how that turns out.



Last but not least, the Jadeite. I bought 12 of these older cups in North Dakota for $12.00 at an antique shop. I thought I heard the store owner wrong when she told me. Without hesitation, other than being shocked for a brief moment, I took them and added to the collection.

It will make drinking hot chocolate with a {huge} dollop of whipped cream this winter so enjoyable. Can't wait.


** You know how there are "crossover" artists in music?
Well, I am going to be a crossover blogger.

In addition to Enjoying the Simple Things, I will soon be writing another blog called @Home Again. There I will post most of my thrifting and flea market adventures, Etsy sales, re-purposing, crafts and home remodeling projects that are still haunting me. I may have the same post at both if I am having a case of writer's block, though, so don't be surprised at that. Like maybe this one for example!

I hope you'll stop by there too.

Thanks friends!

17 comments:

  1. We have boxes upon boxes of what I do not know in our garage that we simply must go through and sell or give away! It is crazy to still have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is holding that little bug??? And yeah, she is totally wearing lipstick...maybe it's Maybeline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lourie,
    Hi! It's me holding that little bug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of shopping your own garage. I made a flowerbox out of my old wooden box by painting it and filling it with blue mason jars, you can see it on my blog. Those embroidered linens would also be cute on pillows...
    Good luck with both your blogs!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found you.. was it from Southern Hospitality? I love your blog and now I am a follower.. please come see me too if you have time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in LOVE with those Jadeite mugs---sooo pretty!!! Wish I had a garage to shop in. ;) Visiting from Rhoda's Thrifty Treasure party. Hope you'll stop by and say hi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the wooden box. I think it would look great with a few small faux pumpkins and leaves for fall.

    Visiting from Thrifty Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was really neat, I love seeing things I would really like too. Be checking your new blog, and save the doilies, don't part with them, one day you will be so glad because it is a lost art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Laura Lynn,
    Flea marketing in your own garage is a great idea ! I have to do that and also tackle our attic, when it gets cooler here. There has been lost and forgotten stuff up there for 20 years. Looking at it as a hunt for treasure will make it more fun.

    I love doilies. I have a few really old ones and use them around the house but never thought of the clever idea of making a runner with them...thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would definitely get those yummy jadite pieces out of the garage and into my cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just loooove that wooden tool box and I also like those jadeite mugs...I should...I have a collection of jadeite...great color! Thanks for comingto my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope you are having FUN here!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have one of those tool caddies down in my basement. You inspired me to get it out and do something with it! I also have lots of doilies and enjoyed seeing the photo you posted of the table runner.
    You uncovered some wonderful treasures in your garage.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your blog over at Coastal Charm. You could screw the bottom of the wooden box (turned sideways)to the bathroom or kitchen wall,you instantly have a towel bar and storage for toiletries or if in the kitchen,small items..
    Natalie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the things you decided to keep especially that tool carrier. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the old wooden tool box. I think it would look pretty with aqua mason jars is it with or without flowers in the jars.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! You scored some great things. I LOVE the tool box. The linens are just beautiful! Thanks for linking to Thrifty Thursday on Tales from Bloggeritaville.

    HUGS!
    Leigh
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice finds! I love the tool carrier too. I got one early this summer. I plan on using it in my bathroom to put rolled up white towels in but there it still sits in my family room!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say