Dear Belen,
Happy Birthday!
Fourteen years ago today, you tried to kill me.
You just wanted to stay inside my tummy a little longer so you wrapped yourself tightly around the cord. I have always thought that you chose to give me heck then, instead of when you get older. I thank you for that. You have made raising you very easy on your old mom and dad.
You were never a difficult baby, toddler or teen-ager. Remember that! Especially when we tell you someday that you can't have the car...
You were always a sweet baby. I remember when you were 6 months old and Uncle Blair was playing with you. He was laying on his stomach on the floor trying to get you to come to him. You came toward him and gently & slowly rested your forehead on his. It brought tears to his eyes - you were so cute.
I love thinking back to when I was a new mom and daddy was overseas so we just had each other. You were my little buddy and we'd just sit together all day or go over to Becky's house to visit Timmy and she and I would play with our real life baby dolls. I would take you everwhere and you were always happy. Thanks for letting me practice on you how to be a mom. It wasn't too traumatic, was it?
You have been such a good and patient sister and they love you for that. I'm thankful that you have sought out good friends. I'm even more glad that those friends include your brothers and sisters. I love that you have big dreams for yourself. I love that you have a hearty laugh and that you are understanding and forgive me when I'm a dork.
I still laugh at the story of how you learned a lesson in lying when you were 4 yrs. old which resulted in a needless tetanus shot. All because you wanted a piece of Tillamook Cheddar.
At least you're good with shots for a few extra years!
I'm sorry that we can't give you everything you'd like. You would deserve it all.
I guess you are just stuck with our love. If it had monetary value, you would be worth billions.
Love,
Momma
At first I had a heart attack when I started reading this post. Cute tribute! I'm sure hoping love is enough,becuase sometimes that's all there is to offer. Have a good day.
ReplyDeleteSandra
Oh sorry!! When Jon tells the kids about their birth, he says - Belen tried to kill mom, Charley was in a hurry..etc, etc. I guess I should clarify the joke, oops!
ReplyDeleteThis was so sweet. I love the last line. I"ll have to remember that one. Love you lady and wish we lived closer so our children could know each other and play.
ReplyDeleteAll of your posts are so beautiful. You have a way with words and ideas. I loved catching up. I love your kids especially the two I get to play with Reese and Blair. She told me all about the sledding yesterday.
ReplyDelete