because I would be tempted to do this to their cell phones. Asking some to put them away for the whole hour we are teaching doesn't seem to be working so maybe this would do the trick, hmmm...
(I couldn't get the video to embed but it's only 37 seconds, enjoy!
And for those parents whose children I do teach - sorry!)
That's me now, only no kid has been crazy enough to flash their phone in front of me at church anymore. I actually threw a kids phone in the trash can at church after I took the battery out of it and handed it to his mother during Sacrament meeting.
ReplyDeleteI didn't want to know the football score and the kids parents allowed that to go on during the passing of Sacrament. I told the dad after I apologized their team lost but I was just as upset that I couldn't hear the prayer my boys were saying during Sacrament, so I felt we were even. I think the kids in our Ward know not to test me. I'm the nutty lady who believes in tough love = )
That's awesome!!! I'm the tough love one too but don't get the support.
ReplyDeleteI get the angry calls or calls from others who tell me about the angry calls. Oh the drama.
I had one person tell me they didn't know what to do about their kid's cell phone during church and I said to do like me, hold out your hand and take the phone. They replied they could never take away their kid's phone, that would just not be fair...sigh...
Dude. In my Sunday School class (the 15 year olds) they hand me their phone at the entrance or they can turn around and walk out of my Sunday School class.
ReplyDeleteTime to turn the NAZI on Sister. NO FEAR!
Emilie - I wish I could get others to do that. My Beehives aren't the problem because they know better. I'm told to be their "friend" not their mother so my hands are tied. If I'm released soon you'll know why, ha ha!
ReplyDeleteI get that same drama from parents and that's the only time I flex the "Samoan" on people in the ward and give the "Do I look like someone that is scared of much?" and my husband hates when I do that because it is always directed towards the brethren in the ward. If they back down, I know the wife won't step up. I know it's mean, but if people do not want to teach their children respect while at church with something you can simply take away, then I don't mind doing their job for them.
ReplyDeleteIt's crazy when these kids think the whole world revolves around them and the parents can't figure it out. Church is for guidance and our church helps to build families, but the church is surely not there to be the nanny to people's kids or do the parenting for spoiled kids.
If all else fails, put your kids in Muay Thai and then the ward will be too nervous to say much.
Thank goodness my kids think the total opposite of me, but then again they would never be disrespectful to their elders or in church. I've scared that option out of them = P
lol, that is funny. I think the cell phones are getting a bit out of hand with these teenagers.
ReplyDeleteMy kids have learned from the beginning of their cell phone life....NOT AT CHURCH! They don't take it. The cell phone would be no more!!!
ReplyDeleteJust doing a little catching up. I'm going to go check out your Christmas!
Sandra
My big issue is the texting, but I have to admit that the youth we have right now are pretty good about it. Those that were my biggest problem graduated last year.
ReplyDeleteI think you can be a "friend" to the Beehives and still let them know your expectations. Friends do that all the time. Don't we ask them to let their friends know their standards and then stick to them? You'd just be an example of what their being asked to do. Tell them your standard and then stick to it. No matter what, it's just polite to not talk or text in a class of any kind.
I think it is funny when I have had conversations with parents and we are talking about how crazy it is that kids have cell phones and how much they use them etc, etc... and then they go on to say "but my 11 year old has for emergencies" My child will not have a cell phone when they are 11, I can guarantee it.
ReplyDelete