Pages

Santa Exchanges and A book preview

Monday, December 28, 2009

I was able to participate with two lovely ladies in a Santa Exchange.

First I headed over to my creative friend, Jenny's house and we opened up presents like a 4 year old. I received my favorite animal, that cute little Elephant which I named Ella of course. I have loved those ever since she began making them. I also found some fabric to add to my collection and growing list of sewing projects. I am a little addicted to fabric so I loved this gift. I also received a red handmade book bag with a drawing of the Eiffel tower, a Jenny first! Andes mints rounded out the gift but I ate them before I could take a picture. Jenny is one creative person and there just about isn't anything she can't make.


I also received a gift package from my dear friend, May.

In it were books that I am dying to read and candles that are waiting to be lit. She got me dead on with those books. One is "Say You're one of them" by Uwem Akpan. Oprah says it's a must read and she usually gets those right. My husband wants to read that one also since we've heard so many good things about it.

The other is "Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women worldwide" written by Pulitzer prize winning journalists. In the book they say that women and girls are one of the world’s great untapped resources, and education is the first step toward realizing it. I believe that to be true and I also believe that education is the way out of poverty for all people.

One woman they profile: "Tererai Trent, is one of the organization's great success stories, and is singled out by Kristof and WuDunn, the authors. Tererai credits the Heifer co. for her rise from poor cattle herder in Zimbabwe to Ph.D. She first encountered Heifer International when the organization’s president and CEO, Jo Luck, met with a women's group in Zimbabwe in 1992. While sitting in a circle in the dirt, Jo Luck encouraged Tererai that her dreams of getting an education were achievable. Even though she had been married off at age 11 and had no resources of her own, Tererai believed Jo Luck's inspiration, set her intention in secret, and is now in the U.S. completing her Ph.D. and working with Heifer." (quote taken from Heifer Intl. website)

I love these types of stories and their inspirational messages. May also sent a journal for me to hone my creative writing skills. She's a cheerleader of mine and my first follower on this blog. Her encouragement of my writing means more to me than she'll ever know.

Thanks girls, I loved my gifts but I love you guys even more!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed your gifts. I know it will take some time to get you to write something, maybe kids books, maybe a novel, the sky is the limit. I love the fact that people get rejected 100's of times before they get someone to hear them. I LOVE what you have to say and I think keeping something written to pass on to your kids would be one of the best gifts ever. However long you take to decide if writing is the way to go, I'm your #2 fan. I had to put your hubby first, as I'm sure he's your #1 fan in everything = )

    I get inspired from reading about those women in the book too. I believe WOMEN can do the most to change the world once they realize their importance. Happy reading and writing Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great gifts those are! I love to read aswell. Although over here, I have to hunt down the english books and they are pricey.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say