All together with my brothers and sister's families 2008
Thanksgiving was almost a bust.
We have been on our own as a family for nearly 16 years now with only a few times when we have spent the holidays with our family and close friends. Usually I don't mind it being just us for the holidays. We've always kind of liked the ease of being with the kids and having a smaller meal. But on this day, I was missing my extended family and was enjoying my own little pity party.
It got worse when the day was interrupted by a total house plumbing issue.
Jon came home early from work to rescue us as we were just heading up to the convenience store. We made several trips to the corner store to use their facilities. I changed it up a bit and went to different ones in the area. The kids loved this knowing I always feel I should buy something when we have to use their restroom. So I had a list of items to buy while I was waiting for the kids: gum, sundae pop-tarts, potato chips, nutty buddy bars and an Icee.
Jon started in on the FIY project (fix it yourself) and went a couple of rounds with it. Normally he's pretty good at fixin' stuff but this time was proving to be a bit more challenging. The 50 foot snake we rented didn't do a thing so we called in the pros. The whole problem stemmed from the outside drain that we didn't even know existed. It was being covered by a coffee can which was hidden by the previous owners in an attempt to fix and disguise it with shrubbery.
"It figures" Jon said, referring to our situations with previous homeowners. Remind me to tell you about the homeowner who insisted I call her "Honey girl" when we were buying her home, our first house. Just thinking about her makes me want to throw something.
Anyway, with the plumber's advice and by the light of a flashlight, it took Jon about 3 minutes to fix and we were good.
The delay made for a late evening since Jon couldn't get his homemade stuffing done or any other side dish. So we enjoyed hanging out, made a few corn husk dolls and had dinner around 10 pm that night - which is the way they eat in Europe - late. People after my own heart...
And, as I sat there enjoying conversations with each of my family members, I was grateful for it all. It's never a bust when you are part of something bigger.
My family is estranged on both sides for years and for prideful reasons. I can't say that I'm glad it is that way, but I have found peace in creating traditions and a legacy for my kids to pass on to their families. I like that you find the best in all of your quirky situations. I'm glad that you spent time with your extended family last year. There is much beauty in that huge connection. I use to long for the once huge gatherings, but not so much anymore. I am positive your family loved this Thanksgiving just like any other one you had with them.
ReplyDeleteOk, I'm reminding you about the last homeowner "Honey girl", do tell. Is she Hawaiian because that is an island nick name.
gf i love that shopping list. you sound like such a loving wife and mom. i am positive your family loved thanksgiving any which way it came at your house.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it turned out all right in the end, even if dinner was rather late. You had a great attitude about it, at least. That seems to be a recurring theme with your posts :)
ReplyDeleteXO,
Jacci