Pages

Fall parade

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

One thing I enjoy about living in a small area are the those town traditions that may seem a little podunk compared to big cities. They are always easily enjoyable and make you feel as if you had just stepped out of a Norman Rockwell painting.

Take, for example, last weekend's Homecoming parade for our local college. It's just a few blocks away from our house and lasts 15 minutes tops. Our kind of parade. The kids get excited for this because it means collecting all of the candy that the parade people toss. They even walk by and hand out candy bars and not just to the kids. I had a few things lining my pockets as well.

It's just plain fun to get out and do something, don't you think? Meeting up with some friends at the creek and then walking a block to the parade route was the perfect way to spend the morning. The slight wind gave way to sunshine and it turned out to be a nice, warm autumn day.
And all the candy was gone an hour later.

We'll do this again at Christmas, just with more fanfare, and I can't wait.


Local high school marching band

College football and baseball playoff discussion

Handing out the candy



One of the college floats

Friends


Good thing they drive slowly around here.


Taste test

Trading some loot


The end.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun time.
    Give me hometown any day over big and loud.

    Cute kids. I hope they were able to sleep that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those parades are kinda pohdunk but what a great place to raise your kids !!!

    I am a big town kind of girl. My Hubs grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone. There is something comforting about a small town parade/lifestyle that I missed out on growing up and I now enjoy the small town frame of mind my Hubs enjoys when we visit...but then I'm glad to get back home to the big town too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! It's always fun to get into the city and feel the excitement of the place. I'm due for a trip in to the big city!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say