Charley taking notes
Every one wants to lead a hymn.Today is our church's World General Conference. It's a time where the leadership of our church get together and give uplifting talks to a worldwide audience. When I lived in Salt Lake I was able to attend the sessions in person which was a lot of fun. But I also enjoy watching them from my living room via cable television and we make it just as fun for the kids. Because let's face it, when you're young the last thing you want to do is listen to a bunch of boring speakers.
Ok, even when you are old, you still don't like boring speakers.
Luckily, these people aren't boring, to me anyway. This day is a little different than our normal church services. For example, I can hang out in my pajamas if I want to and Trae can go around without clothes.
So in order to keep them a little focused during the talks, and keep it from being "snooze conference 2010", I have a packet for each of them with bingo games and word puzzles. The bingo games are out the whole time and when the kids hear a word from a talk that corresponds with the word on their game, they use a candy to mark the square. And for blackout, they use a twizzler or a pixie stick.
So in order to keep them a little focused during the talks, and keep it from being "snooze conference 2010", I have a packet for each of them with bingo games and word puzzles. The bingo games are out the whole time and when the kids hear a word from a talk that corresponds with the word on their game, they use a candy to mark the square. And for blackout, they use a twizzler or a pixie stick.
This is all done under their "tent" that they make out of blankets and string across the room. The kids love to make the tents, play games and listen to the speakers. My 13 and 15 year-old even get into it. It works every time. Not always without interruption or bouts of noise but usually for at least a talk or two.
Thanks to my friend Alysa and her great idea, we have been enjoying this tradition for some time now.
I hope you are having a great Sunday too!
Hugs,
Laura

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's hear what you have to say