Pages

Weekend thrift

Monday, October 4, 2010

I'm back with some thrifty finds and do I mean thrif-ty, as in free.

But first, I was taking Charley to play practice early Saturday morning and since I was close by, I thought I'd go to Saturday market. I did a quick run through because sometimes the booths are not that great and I don't like to waste time. I did see some good things but at antique shop prices. I always stop by to see the lady who has nice prices on her vintage jewelry and I found another cameo and an initial pin for Belen - 4 dollars total.


On the way home, I spotted a garage sale where I picked up these Pyrex beakers. One has a rounded bottom but I can use it as a hanging vase. I took all 5 for $2.00. They will be vases for the bathroom. I love their chunky lip and etched polka dot.

For 2 dollars I also picked up this black tray with silver trim. It needs a polish but I'll use it to hold my cooking oils. Right now I use an antique silverware tray to hold oils but I've been using it for 10 years so it's getting worn. In the mix of vintage tools, I spotted a heavy, steel domino. I was surprised to find it was just 25 cents. Items like that are always interesting shelf accessories or a weapon. It is a hefty thing!



Since I was on a roll, I thought I'd head to the thrift shop. There I found this cute planter in the shape of the United States and a Robin on it. I'll use it for a napkin holder in Spring and Summer. For $2.00 I couldn't pass it up.


Ok, on to the free part...A while back I signed up with Freecycle so I could get rid of stuff. It works out well. I set items at the curb, e-mail an announcement and it's magically gone a few hours later. So anyway, my e-mail in-box is always full of announcements and one happen to catch my eye about a metal grate. So I drove about a mile from my house, thinking it wasn't going to be much but then I found this: A huge, heavy iron grate. And some people say nothing in life is free. I can't decide which is my favorite find, can you?
I hope you have a good thrifting week. Let me know what you find!

10 comments:

  1. That iron gate is DIVINE!
    Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your finds Girl! Sooo cool! I'd grab 'em too!
    Stopping in to say Hi and hugs to you!
    xoxo,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab finds!!!
    Love the grate!!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I scored today. Halloween costume shopping. A devil/angel costume for my little middle. In tact, clean and hardly any flaws. $12. A black fairy-like costume with wispy droopy wings. $6.50. I needed a shirt to go under it(this is for the teen) the shirt was $3. I was so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! I know what you mean about some of the booths being a waste of time! Love the pyrex beakers, so cool! Thanks for following, I'm following you back!

    http://chalkboardstostrollers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm your newest follower from Thursday Blog Hop! Looking forward to reading more from you!

    http://a-journey-not-a-race.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I am your newest follower from the blog hop! Lovely BLog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok that metal grate? FABULOUS! And I love the domino too:)
    Sarah
    HandbagsnPigtails.blogspot.com
    *Visiting from Bonnie's Twice Owned Link Up

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those beakers. What a fun find!! And I really like the domino and the tray also. I always love finding trays!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say