Do you hear it too?
Monday, January 10, 2011
Forgive me while I interrupt the normal content of this blog to chat about recent U.S. events...It's ok if you don't want to read this right now. It's just what's on my mind today but come back tomorrow when I'll be back to my regular postings of home and family.
At a young age I had an interest in politics. At 10, I could name the U.S. Secretary of State and many cabinet members as easily as I could the cast of any popular TV show. When I was in high school I was selected for youth in government day and was able to shadow a DA and see the inter workings of our community courthouse. I thought I would eventually study political science and I did for a couple of years.
While I loved learning about government and citizenship, I disliked the way people didn't listen to the "other side" as if their side was the only one that mattered. After some years, my interest waned. I still keep up with what's going on as I think everyone should. But the source from where information is gathered, should not be just one, but many.
Being able to see how others' experiences have shaped them and how important their views are to them, can help our view. Or I should say, my view.
So when I heard about the weekend shooting of a Congresswoman and the little 9 year-old girl that was interested in politics, who was among those who had been shot or killed, I was deeply saddened. My thoughts were with her family.
I also thought about my friend whose father is a member of Congress and how they must be feeling.
Who knows the whys of this tragedy?
But all I heard and saw were people heading to their political corners and hoping the shooter wasn't one of them, if this was indeed politically motivated. I read ugly comments on news articles where people were already arguing on the political motives of this young man.
Does it surprise anyone that our nation is so quick to argue?
I know there is opposition and it's OK to have views and convictions but without solutions, arguing is just noise. Do you hear it too?
There is a lot of noise out there. I mean you only have to look to your TV at any given day and see the programming full of reality shows with a bunch of people arguing and fighting.
About what, I am not sure but I am sure it's nothing that important.
The only thing I know about the tragedy is that the shooter has problems. And our citizens who wanted to be a part of helping their community, including a federal judge, an engaged man who was to be married next year, a favorite elderly church member, two retired homemakers, and the little girl, are gone. Some of the others are fighting for their lives.
And I hope there is no arguing about how important all of their lives are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree, if someone had a good suggestion or solution, no one would hear it for the commotion on every issue. I too feel very sad that this could happen to innocents.
ReplyDeleteI know. It's really sad when people lose sight of what is truly important.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully stated! God be with those who are needing healing and dealing with the loss.
ReplyDeleteVery well said my Friend, very well said. You have such a wonderful heart to write about what should have been the focus and forefront all along. Good for you and I pray that more and more people will speak out in the same like manner.
ReplyDeleteBecause of your generous heart, I've got an award to pass onto you. Come and get it anytime you're ready.
xoxo,
Ellen
This whole thing makes me feel so sad.
ReplyDelete