Pages

Remembering Mom

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The call came on a chilly, January morning in 2008 at 8:30 am eastern time. I glanced at the time as Jon handed me the phone, telling me that it was my older brother, Brett. A bit of panic struck me as I noted the time difference. Usually no good calls come at 5:30 am from the West coast. As soon as I heard my brother's voice, I knew what he was calling about and he didn't have to say much more. My mom had died during the night. My mind was numb and I really didn't want to hear much more. I have missed her more than anyone would know.

Today my mother, Carolina, would have been 71. So I thought it appropriate to write a little about her and remember her on this day.
She was a true 50's girl with the cute skirts, saddle shoes, knowing all of the cool dances. She worked at a malt shop and liked to go to concerts. She had a great singing voice, was a straight A student and wanted to be a doctor.

She met my dad, they married and started a family a year later. Soon they had 3 children under 3 years of age. She carted them everywhere with her as she didn't believe in babysitters. Because I came 5 years after my siblings, I had a lot of time alone with my mom. As a teen-ager, I would often fore go a night out with my friends for a night out with her. She was more fun.

There wasn't anything she could not do or make. I always thought she could show Martha a thing or two. She was a collector of many things and took me to antique shops and all sorts ot interesting places meeting interesting people. My life is enriched from all that she taught me culturally. You could call her anytime and ask for the most obscure item, and she'd say "Oh, I've got that!" and then tell you why it's good to never throw anything away, and sure enough, she'd have what you were searching for.

Like many women of her generation, she put her personal dreams on hold to become a wife and mother. In so doing, her dreams became her children, dreams made even sweeter by the blessings of grandchildren. Boy did she love and spoil those grandkids! Why are parents always easier on the grandkids?? We would tease her about that.

She and I spoke the night before she died about a new venture we were starting. She was always encouraging me to use my creative talents. I was at work while we chatted over the phone and I was getting paged over and over. I had to go so we set a time to call the next day. That was the last conversation. I can't remember if I told her I loved her before we hung up and it bothers me to this day. She loved us. She loved the Gospel and was a resilient lady - life threw her some serious curve balls but she was strong and never intimidated.

Even though I know that through Heavenly Father's plan, I will see her again someday, I still miss her now. But because of that plan, I will have the opportunity to finish our conversation,
Thank heaven. Literally.

After we spoke last and I hung up the phone, I turned smiling to a co-worker and said, "That was my mama." I felt proud and happy. I am still happy she is my mom.
If you haven't done so today, call your mom or someone you love and remind them - you love them.
Don't waste time! Go, now - do it.
Happy New Year!
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your mom Laura. Although I didn't get to know her too well, I feel like I know her somewhat because I know YOU!! Pleasant, happy, adventuresome, polite, crafty and just a downright good person. From the pictures you posted, I can also see where you get your good looks!
    Here's to a great 2009. Tell John and the kids "Hola" from UT. We love and miss you!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janet - you are too kind.
    My mom would always say, "That Janet, what a good person!"
    I love and miss you TONS! I think about you all the time and our time in Sugarhouse! When are you guys coming to visit??

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. You made me cry! As I was reading it, my mom was one the phone talking with Jackson and it was just perfect timing. That's so great that you were close to her and that we have plan of salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your Mom. I always dread that phone call. I have a panic attack once a week thinking that something might happen to my parents. I'm real close with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post. I loved reading about your mom. You were such a good daughter too. She was lucky to have you as her friend. I enjoyed the many talks we had on the phone. Just wish I could have met her in person.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say