I wanted to share
some scenes with you from our trip to the
Lone Star State - Texas!
The Jazz soundly beat the Grizzlies, no surprise. I don't remember too much of the game since we were up and down to the nosebleed seats getting food, drinks, and taking trips with the kids to the restroom every 10 minutes. After taking one and coming back, the other would have to go. I tell you!
We were able to rest a bit after finally arriving in San Antonio at Jon's brother's house. They have a beautiful house out in the country where their goats and chickens roam. Reese loved playing video games with his cousin Matt. There is a movie screen in their media room so it made for a good time watching movies and playing on the X-Box.
One night we made homemade pizzas that Noel cooked in his outdoor brick pizza oven (which he made.) The pizzas cooked in about 5-8 minutes. I now want a brick pizza oven. He even cooked the 2 Thanksgiving turkeys in there, and they were most delicious!

Since this was going to be a quick trip, we headed to the city right away. The kids don't remember living in Texas and although we've seen this city plenty of times before, we still wanted to take the kids down to the Paseo del Rio (Riverwalk) and to the Mercado. I was also able to take a little time and visit with my Tia Tere, my late-mother's older sister and her husband, my Tio Pete. I also was able to chat with a few cousins on the phone and I did get to see my cousin Irma. I don't want to lose touch with my mom's family. My mom was originally from San Antonio so I have fond memories of this city and was very thankful that we could visit both sides of our family

So after visiting my aunt and uncle, we went to the riverwalk. The San Antonio River is a small river which runs right through the city where you can stroll along its paved banks. It's fun to roam around all of the shops and restaurants built next to the river. There are many hotels there as well. The Mercado is a Mexican market with some great restaurants and of course we had to go to get some real Mexican food. The kids found some nice souvenirs and I was able to get a mocahete just like my mom's. I've always wanted one. Now I can make salsas the "traditional" way and Jon can make his guacamole with it.
To make this trip more educational, we went to the world famous Alamo. Of course you can't go to San Antone without seeing this beautiful structure and its gardens. I remember my dad taking us here when we were kids. Although then it seemed to be a dusty, old place that you are always supposed to remember. It seems prettier now. I guess I'm able to appreciate it more being an adult an all.

We enjoyed the Thanksgiving feast at Jon's sister's beautiful home in Austin. The whole family was there. Jon's parents, siblings and all their children, even a friend from work and a nephew's girlfriend. We had a great time and it was very relaxing. We managed to stuff ourselves silly. The kids also enjoyed the beautiful pool and singing and playing instruments in the music room. My nephew and niece are both in bands and are quite talented. I enjoyed hearing McKinzie sing with Blair. Blair Noel was donning a Hannah Montana wig the whole time which was given to her by her teen-age cousin J.P.

The day after Thanksgiving we all went back to the Riverwalk for the Christmas river parade and lighting ceremony. This time you had to have tickets to get down to the Riverwalk which was cool. We had assigned seating right on the sidewalk next to the river and enjoyed seeing all of the boats go by, glowing from all of their colorful lights. They paved the way for Santa to arrive and light up the city. It was a warm evening and a perfect ending to our trip.
Since this was going to be a quick trip, we headed to the city right away. The kids don't remember living in Texas and although we've seen this city plenty of times before, we still wanted to take the kids down to the Paseo del Rio (Riverwalk) and to the Mercado. I was also able to take a little time and visit with my Tia Tere, my late-mother's older sister and her husband, my Tio Pete. I also was able to chat with a few cousins on the phone and I did get to see my cousin Irma. I don't want to lose touch with my mom's family. My mom was originally from San Antonio so I have fond memories of this city and was very thankful that we could visit both sides of our family
So after visiting my aunt and uncle, we went to the riverwalk. The San Antonio River is a small river which runs right through the city where you can stroll along its paved banks. It's fun to roam around all of the shops and restaurants built next to the river. There are many hotels there as well. The Mercado is a Mexican market with some great restaurants and of course we had to go to get some real Mexican food. The kids found some nice souvenirs and I was able to get a mocahete just like my mom's. I've always wanted one. Now I can make salsas the "traditional" way and Jon can make his guacamole with it.
He makes the best guacamole! It's nice and chunky with onions and avocado but not overpowering with spices. A hint of lime, cumin, garlic and a bunch of cilantro,
just the way I like it.
To make this trip more educational, we went to the world famous Alamo. Of course you can't go to San Antone without seeing this beautiful structure and its gardens. I remember my dad taking us here when we were kids. Although then it seemed to be a dusty, old place that you are always supposed to remember. It seems prettier now. I guess I'm able to appreciate it more being an adult an all.
It's older still but not dusty.
We enjoyed the Thanksgiving feast at Jon's sister's beautiful home in Austin. The whole family was there. Jon's parents, siblings and all their children, even a friend from work and a nephew's girlfriend. We had a great time and it was very relaxing. We managed to stuff ourselves silly. The kids also enjoyed the beautiful pool and singing and playing instruments in the music room. My nephew and niece are both in bands and are quite talented. I enjoyed hearing McKinzie sing with Blair. Blair Noel was donning a Hannah Montana wig the whole time which was given to her by her teen-age cousin J.P.
The day after Thanksgiving we all went back to the Riverwalk for the Christmas river parade and lighting ceremony. This time you had to have tickets to get down to the Riverwalk which was cool. We had assigned seating right on the sidewalk next to the river and enjoyed seeing all of the boats go by, glowing from all of their colorful lights. They paved the way for Santa to arrive and light up the city. It was a warm evening and a perfect ending to our trip.
And now I have the Tanya Tucker song stuck in my head, "When I die, I may not go to heaven, I don't know if they let cowboys in. If they don't, just let me go to Texas. Texas is as close as I've been." Must sing with the appropriate twang.
Yeehaww!!
(That's not in the song, I just like to say yeehaww when I think of Texas.)
How fun! You guys are so adventurous to take your kids there. We have also spent a Thanksgiving in Austin and did all the river walk and stuff. What fun memories we made. Glad you had a good holiday!
ReplyDelete