Pages

In search of mid-century and Craigslist red flag phrases

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Last weekend I posted and sold the baby crib on Craigslist. It was my first ever posting.

Due to the overwhelming response by way of e-mails I received, it crossed my mind that I sold it too low. Oh well, it is Craigslist after all. Most items are gently used and in some cases, heavily used. So why some strangely high prices? Have you noticed that?? I guess it's human nature to feel that some of our belongings are more valuable than they really are. That's okay but unless it is a high end antique like a Thomas Seymour table, furniture doesn't usually appreciate.

In addition to posting, I also purchased. I have been looking for a mid-century modern dresser for a long time now. I found 3 of them and each time, I was a day late in getting in contact with the seller. I was the second person in line every time and I knew the person ahead of me would take it.

Finally on Saturday I spotted another one and I liked the posting:
Dresser - 20.00.
I like the straight forward approach.

So after telling asking my husband if we could go on a 45 minute drive, we took off in search of the dresser. Jon's good this way even though I know he was wondering why I was buying more stuff. "The boys need this," I said.
Even Reese said, "Mom, remember I like antiques" when I told him I was re-doing his room. No kidding. Love that boy.

It was not the 5 foot dresser that I wanted. It was actually 6 feet and is probably too big for the boys' room but I wasn't going to pass it up and the lines were good.
With a little maneuvering down a narrow and winding staircase, Jon was able to fit it into the car. He is an expert mover and doesn't complain at my harebrained ideas. Love that boy.

It is similar to the one shown below. The white trim is actually a walnut color on the one we purchased and the rest is a lighter shade. There are no handles either, which I prefer.
I plan to change it up a bit and make it cohesive with the new bunk bed. Wish me luck.

So when looking for furniture, here are some of my favorite Craigslist phrases to watch out for:

1. "Unique," usually means an ugly piece of furniture.

2. "Must see to appreciate," means it's so bad we can't find the words to describe it. Essentially saying, 'Just get here and you'll see what we mean and maybe you'll feel obligated.'

3. "Must take both (or all)" - We don't want this crap around anymore, either.

4. "It's a steal" - We overpaid and are going to try to get you to do the same.

5. "Just throw a tablecloth over it" - Too much work for us to refinish and this was our remedy. It could work for you too.

6. "Like new," - a ridiculously high price alert.

I think I'll go have some more Craigslist fun. It's time to sell the dresser that this one replaced.

6 comments:

  1. That dresser is a beauty and might I add, I'm a mid-century model myself and am tickled pink that things from my birth era are finding their way into young families homes and still being admired and used too !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do love Craigslist, last year I got the Fisher Price loving family doll house with an EXTREME amount of accessories for $50! It was my daughter's Christmas present. I had to look every day a lot before I found one that wasn't snatched up first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found the house we rented (and eventually bought) using Craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a new vintage dresser.. and so funny and true to read your craig's list phrases... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live and die by Craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Craigslist key- I do sometimes wonder about the stuff I read on there.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say