Pages

On being banned

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A sneak peak - the thrift store table I got for 9.99. Soon to be given a face lift.


Last week was extremely busy and this week is shaping up to be also. Somehow, I managed to squeeze in a thrifting trip. I know, surprise, surprise. Later in the week I'll elaborate more on the cool finds and what I am doing with them. Let's just say it was a good trip and there were hilarities and hi jinx involved. Which got me thinking about a thrift shop excursion I went on in Hilton Head, SC.


We lived there for 3 years and one day I decided to take break from the ocean. I had heard about this thrift shop where the line to get in wrapped around the building. This intrigued me. People wait in line to go thrift shopping?? Apparently, all of the wealthy people like to get new stuff every year so they donated to this place. I had to see.



So, I went and sure enough there was a line. I stood for a little while with my kids, though, not very long. At the time my kids were 9, 7 and 2 years old. Charley had to use the restroom right away so we made a beeline for the back of the store. Suddenly, I was tapped on the shoulder. I spun around to look behind me. (It was just like in the movies where someone turns and doesn't see anyone so they look down and there is this honey-I-shrunk-the-kids person.)


I did that. I looked down and this small person was standing there. I'm not so tall myself so for her to be smaller than me was something.


"Yes?" I said

Trembling, she said, "You can't be in here."

Thinking I didn't hear her correctly, I asked "I beg your pardon?"

She asked how old the kids were and I told her. She said there was a sign posted at the front stating there were no kids allowed.


Smiling I said, "You're kidding, right? Am I on a hidden camera show?"


"No." she said. Then I noticed that this person was a security guard! A security guard at a junk store! A security guard with a hand over her hip pocket as if to keep track of a weapon.



"Are you packing?!" I said.

She looked a little confused.


"Oh, it's just a radio, thank goodness." I remarked.


Charley was now next to me dancing around, almost in tears. She was doing the "cross-legged" dance and I told Belen to take her to the restroom, "Quickly!"

The worried guard said, "Uhhh..." And I politely reminded her that there was going to be a mess so she could at least let her use the bathroom and then we'd leave. She agreed.


The manager, a smartly dressed woman in her 60's, came over to see why there were evil children in the store. I assumed she was a volunteer for the church that sponsored this shop. Which, by the way, was not affiliated with this store any more.


I asked why kids were not allowed in the store.


"Oh, I love children. I have 2 of my own and I have grandchildren" she said as she turned her head with a sigh at the preposterousness of the question.


"Then why aren't they allowed to be here? You do realize that most people who shop at stores like this are mothers? Mothers that need to bring their kids with them."


"Oh, yes, I understand. I was a stay-at-home mother too, we all were at one time" and then she said, "BUT IF I ALLOW ONE IN WE'D HAVE TO COUNT THEM AS A PERSON AND I JUST CAN'T DO THAT." (Caps added to emphasize her ridiculous words.)


Because only 200 people were allowed in the store at any given time, they didn't allow children, making way for the adult spenders. "It's a safety issue." she said.

By this time, the kids were back and Reese was getting heavy. So, we began to make our way out of the store. The smug manager was following us, trying to sell me on the place, telling me they "gave over a million dollars to charities" that year and *gasp* "some were "CHILDREN'S charities."


"That's nice" I said dryly.

She just rolled her eyes and sent the security guard, whose hand was still on the radio, to continue to escort us. Some shoppers, noticing the debate that had ensued, stood and watched. My escort was like Moses parting the Red Sea.



"Ever had to use that thing, like call for back-up or something?" I said.

I finally got a laugh from her, "No" she replied.

"Is this the most action you've gotten at this store?"

"Yes, thanks" she said smiling.

"My pleasure. Thanks for not letting my kids wet the floor. That was nice of you; you do a good job."


And with that she opened the door for us and Reese waved "bye bye." She waved back and shut the door.

On my way out, I felt like shouting "Norma Rae, Norma Rae!"


And that is the story of how I was banned.

*post edit* I looked up the website of this store and now they only ban children under 6 in the store. Progress.



Linking up to Twee Poppets' Tuesday Tag-along and Midday Escapades' Friday Follow

24 comments:

  1. "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." - Matthew 19:14

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ??? I have never in my life heard anyone say they couldn't count a child as a person ( except when they're in the womb by abortion rights people ) That stopped me in my tracks...nuts ! And very well told !

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW,
    I think this story also qualifies to be filed as a Freaky but True Story !

    Have a great day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing story! I can't believe they wouldn't let your kids in the store...but it made for a great blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is not too smart of a store to ban kids! Alot of purchases are not being made without them. lol that is a funny store of being banned though. I'd have been scared of that security lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is quite the story. I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story caught my attention ~ and as I kept reading..I was very suprised at what happened to you!
    It would have been hard for me not to get upset at the Manager. I like to thrift store shop also!
    Following you from Tuesday tag along!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. No way! That is crazy. Love how you reacted during the whole situation.. I don't think I would have been brave enough to use the bathroom after they said kids weren't allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here from Tuesday Tag-Along and now following.

    What an experience. Some days God proves how WRONG Darwin was...this is one of those moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a jaw-dropping story. Plus I can't wait to see how that table turns out.
    I'm a new follower from Tuesday Tag Along. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness how funny!! Fancy not wanting to count children as PEOPLE!!
    Thanks for visiting my blog - I'm now following you too!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that wa the most incredible thrift story I've heard. Is it a good thing it didn't happen to my youngest daughter. That manager would have shriveled right there in front of the rest room!
    I am tagging along on Tag-Along Tuesday, following you!
    Visit me and enter for my giveaway @
    www.happyfamilyhappykids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have gone all postal. The security guard would have needed that radio after all, for back up. Wow. That's really crazy. Did you ever go back with a wad of cash asking if they remembered you, you had kids but they wouldn't let you shop their.... you know all Pretty Woman style. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your blog! I am now a "follower" from Tuesday Tag Along.

    I own a blog/design/scrapbooking/photography/WAHM forum I'd love you to join called My Great Retreat (link is below). Can't wait to keep in touch!

    I also am a co-found of Seeds Of Faith blog. Link is below.

    Come follow if you'd like! Have a great day!

    Meghan
    www.thetuckerstaketennessee.com
    www.mygreatretreat.com
    http://seedsoffaithforthechristianmom.blogspot.com
    http://mygreatretreat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a CRAZY story! :) Ha. Well, at any rate, looks like you have *quite* the thrift store find there in that little table. Looks like it has a terrific curve to it. Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is crazy stupid. I am here via Tuesday Tag-Along and decided to follow. I am #4 on Mr. Linky Traci66 or http://traci66.blogspot.com I hope you will come see me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Strange but true. It never ceases to amaze me how these people can work in such an environment. I also posted a story about a experience I had in a medical clinic. Love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your comments have been funny, Thanks!

    I actually did go back after I told the manager I wouldn't. I wanted to see what the big deal was and guess what? It was the lamest (is that a word?) thrift shop ever.
    Those "wealthy" people had crappy taste! I didn't find a thing there and if you've been reading my thrift store adventures, you know I always sniff out something!

    It was junk. We ended up finding another one that had a kid's play area. They were great and always had a ton of stuff. Their proceeds went to hospice care for cancer patients. Love that charity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laura Lynn,
    Glad you found a better, more friendly place to shop. My Dad spent some time in Hospice care before he died last year. They were all just wonderful to him...it is a very worthy charity !!!

    I forgot to ask what you plan on doing with that nice table you found...guess we'll see in a future post !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can believe it. Once when I was at the shore I was wandering through a shop and I had 4 kids ages 7-15 with me. We were checking out all the gadgets... just strolling around. All of a sudden I see one of the kids pick up a "breast mug." You know the kind I mean? The one where you drink out of the nipple! I was a little shocked and bewildered until I looked a little closer at some of the other items on the shelves. Some were of the adult male variety and I couldn't figure out why they were there. About this same time a store employee came over and pointed up.... I followed the suggestion. Low and behold there was a sign saying "18 and over only." We were in an adult section of the store... which happened to be right smack in the middle of the store. I was so embarrassed. How stupid of me. I scarred these poor kids for life. Actually they never mentioned it again. What a day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I can't believe that. Almost all the thrift store shoppers are see are MOMS. That seems like going against what they are trying to do.
    The crazy things in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brenda - that is hilarious! I've never heard of an R or X rated thrift shop. That is one for the record books, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. great deal on that table

    From FF and wanted to say hi.
    Take a minute an check my blog out if you haven't already.
    I have lots of great giveaways going on.
    Thanks :)

    ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love the absurdities of life-- what a funny story! At least your child got to use the restroom-- I've had to run carrying a potty training toddler down the sidewalk to another store-- usually the store farthest away!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say