Pages

Boys' room redo - sneak peek

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Inquiring minds want to know about the make-over on the dresser and the boys' room.

How about a little look?

This is the inspiration photo for the mid-century modern piece that I was looking for to go in the boys' bedroom. Although I wanted a 6 drawer, I found a nine-drawer with similar lines for $20.00 on Craigslist. Sold.



from Google Images




So after applying a heavy duty primer,


the dresser was beginning to take shape. The problem was that I liked the wood grain in-between the drawers. The inspiration photo shows they are white. What to do, what to do...
I think I'm going to live with it this way for a while. I can always get back to it. "When in doubt do nothing" my mom would say about things of this nature.
Upon moving in, we found the walls painted with a color called "Petal."

I know that because I found oodles of it in a closet. I don't recommend it. Too green with a yellow cast in a house without a lot of natural light. It came off dingy. The flat paint wasn't helping either.

Sadly, it stayed this way for too long.

Reese wanted a blue room with polka dots - A bright blue room. I'm a believer in letting them have a creative space but that blue was "too creative." I got it anyway thinking I'd work it in somehow. I called it "Painter's tape" blue. And I was hoping to change his mind about the polka dots. I told him to trust me.


He did get some of his bright blue and the polka dots were forgotten when he saw stripes. I strategically placed the blue stripe nearer to the bottom of the wall. It took me painting 2 shades of orange paint before I got it right on the 3rd.

The lamp was a Target donation to Goodwill. $3.99 are you outta your mind?..not me. I scooped up that bad boy knowing it would go right in this room.

The shade was $5.00 on clearance at Wal-mart.





The $2.00 flea market persimmons box is waiting to become a bookshelf mounted to the wall and the pennants will soon be hung.



New curtain fabric, closet door make-over, picture wall and new flooring (that can wait until the fall) will round out completion of this room.



Stay tuned.







Linking to


Between naps on the porch


Dilly dally and flitter


Someday Crafts


The Thrifty Home


Just A girl


The Girl Creative

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That room is looking so polished! The horizontal striping on the wall is brilliant; great job! Pam @ Sallygoodin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want bright color on our walls. but at the same time, I am a little afraid of it. And horizontal stripes? you are awesome. I have no idea how you did it, but its awesome looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't wait to see the finished project. It looks fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dresser style and the wall stripes really work well together. A very pro looking job. Hope you'll have time to stop by and see our kitchen. Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. I really like the way you did the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow- good work, would love to see the final outcome. I'm in the process of trying to fix up my kiddos room- one nursery and one 2yr old twin girls room. thanks for the inspiration!
    meagan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! We're almost done with my son's room and we used similar colors with the greys and oranges and blues. I found some great stuff at Ikea in case you're on the hunt for some accessories.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say