Pages

A little thrifting is good for you

Friday, October 29, 2010

Isn't it?

I was at the thrift shop last week on a mission to find some Halloween costume items. I scrapped that and went to the big box store where I bought them off the rack. It was just easier that way.

But while I was at the thrift shop...I did find a few items.

Scarves - You can always find nice scarves and if you look for a signed one, that is even better. Many people get them for gifts and never wear them so they end up at the thrift shop still in mint condition. I've seen vintage de la Renta, Claiborne and Bill Blass for only $2.00 which can fetch $44.00 in vintage clothing shops. If you ever see a Jean Patou, let me know.

This one was only $1.00 so it came home to be a table runner. I just fringed some burlap, threw on the scarf and it was done.


Serving tray - The other I had was too small for the large ottoman. When I saw how well made this was with metal handles and the price only $1.99, I didn't hesitate.


And after a coat of paint, it takes center stage with a Homegoods vase and those leaves that I glue to things.




The biggest purchase was this super large series of school maps. There are 38 total from 1950 and are all in good condition except for the front cover. It needs to be repaired. They are mounted to a steel rod that used to hang up in a classroom. I have been toying with the idea of wallpapering a wall in the family room with maps or painting one. My kids love maps as well as Jon and I. When I saw this I had to get it just in case we end up going that route.
Ha ha, no pun intended...



And so ends my wrap up of thrifty finds. What have you found out there lately?
Have a safe and happy night of trick-or-treating!
Oh and there's still time to win that magazine subscription...

Stop on by The Thrifty Things' Making Friends Monday

*************************

7 comments:

  1. A LOT of thrifting is good! :)

    I love your finds! Very great indeed! ~ And those maps would be fabulous drawer liners as well...

    Happy Halloween Weeekend!
    EnJoY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being thrifty and these ideas are wonderful! Great job!!!
    ~Tana

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome with those thrifty deals...as for those 1950's maps, they look very familiar to me since I started kindergarten in 1956 ( I was still 4 since my birthday is in November )Wonder if they might be worth some $$$ to a collector...???I would check before crafting with them !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea for a scarf as a runner. What great thrifting finds! I'd love for you to link over at my Sweets This Week Link Party

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find with the maps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura Lynn, Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! I'll be featuring this today - stop by and grab a feature button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say