Taking a quick break from yelling for the Seahawks...
As I was just putting away the last of the Christmas china today, I remembered that I never posted a picture of it. I had a few questions and emails about it so I thought I would share that here.
Over the years, Jon's mom got all of the girls in the family a set of holiday dinnerware or its accessories for Christmas. She started me out 17 years ago and I added to it ever since and up to 2006.
This particular pattern, Royal Limited's Holly Holiday, was a store brand but similar to the much more expensive Lenox pattern.
It was discontinued when the Meier & Frank Co. was sold to the ZCMI dept. stores and then to Macy's. You can still find the pattern on Ebay and at Replacements but for much higher prices than they were originally. They have nice detail and so far, it hasn't worn. I only wash them by hand and since it's only used from the day after Thanksgiving up through New Year's, they should last me a very long time. Unless the tornado, aka Trae-man, gets a crazy idea.
As I was just putting away the last of the Christmas china today, I remembered that I never posted a picture of it. I had a few questions and emails about it so I thought I would share that here.
Over the years, Jon's mom got all of the girls in the family a set of holiday dinnerware or its accessories for Christmas. She started me out 17 years ago and I added to it ever since and up to 2006.
This particular pattern, Royal Limited's Holly Holiday, was a store brand but similar to the much more expensive Lenox pattern.
It was discontinued when the Meier & Frank Co. was sold to the ZCMI dept. stores and then to Macy's. You can still find the pattern on Ebay and at Replacements but for much higher prices than they were originally. They have nice detail and so far, it hasn't worn. I only wash them by hand and since it's only used from the day after Thanksgiving up through New Year's, they should last me a very long time. Unless the tornado, aka Trae-man, gets a crazy idea.
Bowls, platters, salt/pepper shakers, gravy boat, goblets, a cookie jar and other things complete the set.
If you're on the lookout for Christmas dinnerware, now is a good time to buy. Even stores like K-Mart and Wal-Mart have inexpensive sets on sale right now that were specifically brought in for the holidays.
In my town, K-Mart has a 16-piece boxed set on sale for about $20.00. It's basic white with a gold or platinum band and is surprisingly elegant. And did I mention cheeeep? Just mix it with chargers, solid colored bowls or vintage pieces and you'll have an even more beautiful setting.
Lenox -$143.00, 5-piece place setting



My mom also bought each of her daughters a Christmas set and Thanksgfiving set of fine china. we sold ours off on eBay when we were first married and just have one set now. I always think that maybe when we are settled and in a house that we know we will stay in I might buy holiday china again.
ReplyDelete