Have you ever watched "American Pickers" on the History channel?
This show makes me want to pack up and move to Iowa. I know I could hang with those guys and hike all over people's property, make offers, get excited about a pile of junk and load up a truck. That is my dream job. Well, one of them anyway. Anybody wanna come with?
Today they were tromping through the farm of an 88 year-old American WWII Veteran. I love our WWII vets. I always have. This gentleman was frail and walked slowly; his voice raspy with age and at times barely audible. But he was so lovely in his hat and a buttoned up shirt tucked into his belted trousers. He looked like the perfect grandpa tinkering around his farm, enjoying 60 years of collections in the many barns on his property. I found myself wishing I had a grandpa like that.
Two of my favorite finds of the episode were an antique Harley Davidson bicycle crank and a vintage carnival ride. The crank was made of iron and was very architectural and would look great on a shelf. The carnival ride was a small 5 car ride with old, heavy kiddie cars and was stored in a fold up track on its own trailer. It was awesome. I would love to have that and cart it around to birthday parties.
But since I only go picking in Flea markets and thrift shops, I'll have to settle for this week's find of a vintage Westclox alarm clock. It was front and center on a little out-of-the-way shelf and when I picked it up and wound it, the familiar 'tick, tick' sound made me smile. I think the sound is soothing at night. The little gold doors were an extra surprise. I never hesitated and into my cart it went.
Each week I will be doing a round up of my finds and maybe even show you what I plan on doing with them -once I find out what that will be exactly.
Ooh, now I have more of a real reason to go hunting - yeah. (Like I really needed one...)
OOoo! I love good finds like this one. Looking forward to seeing more of your treasures. :)
ReplyDeleteI seriously LOVE old things, especially houses and old barns. I don't know what it is, the way it helps you capture what life was like long ago. So interesting to me :)
ReplyDeleteI love going to thrift stores to see what treasures people have donated.
ReplyDeleteOH my word...I love that alarm clock! It's wonderful. And I'm headed to Iowa. NOT...but would like to. This will be a fun post to look forward to. I love junk, and enjoy looking at others stuff to!!!!
ReplyDeleteSandra
Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me. I love new blog friends.
ReplyDeleteI love your thrift store find. That clock is really cool. I love the doors - plus a wind up clock.. A great find. WOW!
I have never seen a clock like this! It is so cool! I too, love old things and enjoy "thrift store diving"! It is amazing what you can find if you are looking.
ReplyDelete