Pages

Thrift store picks of the week

Monday, March 15, 2010

I love the weekend. It's a time to hang out, tackle projects and have a little more down time, no matter how short that down time is. It's also the time I get to go to the flea market or thrift shop. There is always something waiting for me to re-purpose or display at minimal cost.
How can I not go? I think it's the ultimate in "reduce, reuse, recycle."

Reese and I went to a couple of shops and he enjoyed scouting for his treasures. He shares the same love of vintage that I do, as do his sisters, making our trips more enjoyable.
Being goofy is part of it...

So let me share this week's round-up with you:

I always have my eye out for transferware and ironstone so I picked up two brown transferware plates. They were marked "as is" because of the crazing. Lucky for me, I like the crazing effect because it adds character. I'm not afraid to pick up imperfect items unless there is too large of a crack or many chipped edges.

The vintage horse show ribbon from 1947 has great color and would add interest to a side table or bookshelf. I like to pick up items that are "native" to the area in which I live. This one is from an area not too far away from where we currently live.

The large pendant shade is the perfect size for my entrance. I was planning on spending a lot more for a new light fixture but I saw this guy, and at 4 bucks, I couldn't pass it up. I'll just use the existing light fixture, add the shade but change out the fabric. Although I like its texture, the metallic gold woven through just doesn't cut it for me and I've had enough of the"70's Harvest gold" in this house.

And rounding out the trip, I collected plates and candle holders to make more dessert stands like the one in the picture. I'm sure you've seen them before and they are just as easy to put together as they look. Not to mention, inexpensive and pretty. These are just a few I picked up but all of the plates and candle holders I have were between .25 cents - $2.00. So, if the kids knock them over, I'm not out anything, really.

So there you go, another productive trip that was easy on the wallet. I'll be scouting for more finds this week - can't wait. If you find anything on your excursions, let me know.
Happy hunting!

6 comments:

  1. Wow - you picked up some wonderful things!! You are the Winner of the Walmart Gift Card giveaway over at my blog. Please stop by and email you address so I can get it out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me want to go thrift store shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a great hunting weekend as well! -- Mine is all stuff to sell at the consignment store...

    I adore Transferware... and I don't mind crazing either.. I believe it also gives it character.. and even a few chips in a plate is very beautiful usually comes home with me as well.

    Great finds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Laura Lynn, Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you return often. I am enjoying yours. It's amazing how many great buys we can find by shopping at a thrift store.

    I noticed that you had Bells Palsy at one time. I have a good friend who has had it twice --but she was older than you when she first got it. Her kids were all grown. The doctor said that hers was caused by stress......??????? She lost her pretty smile also.

    Come back to my blog anytime..
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Take me thrifting with you sometime! I need a buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura Lynn,

    I really want to make those cake stands. I'm going out today so maybe I'll stop by the DI.

    Sincerely, Lori

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear what you have to say