I don't often stray from a feel-good blog, but we're all friends here, right?It's all good...
Let me preface this by saying I do believe that immunizations are important. I get that.
My kids are immunized. I am not completely comfortable going without shots. But I'm not comfortable giving an 8 pound newborn a cocktail of injections either. I am thankful that I have a great Pediatrician who lets me choose which ones to give and when.
It's totally on my time line.
My kids meet all of the state requirements but it's just on a different schedule. The doctors give me recommendations and we go from there. They actually tell me which shots my kids don't need right now. Can you believe that?
They have even given me their personal cell phone number to bypass the answering service when I need them on a weekend, which I have used. Love them.
Anyway, I just received a letter from the school district stating the new guidelines for vaccinations for the 2010-2011 school year. Who makes these decisions? Why should I believe they are safe when the pharmaceutical industry has paid out over 2 billion in settlements on products that were once deemed safe?
When is it all too much?
Is Thimerosal really out of the drugs?
These are just a few questions I have.
Now I have to look up the records and see what the kids need or should I say, supposed to have. It used to be so easy to remember but with the changes every year for school and for different grades, I simply can't keep up.
Is it just me?
*Back tomorrow with funner stuff!*
nice,10+
ReplyDeleteMy DIL and you are very much on the same page. She likes to be in charge of her own children's vaccination process. You are fortunate in having doctors that support your wishes in that; she has had to fight for every inch on making her own schedule. (And yes, like yours, the kids are all getting fully vaccinated, just on a slower timetable.)
ReplyDelete=)
Hi ! I am with you on vaccinating on your own time line. When our kids were babies, they gave them cocktails (2 or 3 serums in one shot) which I didn't like but did because that's what the DR. said they needed. We had to do the MMR cocktail over when my 3 older kids were each 2 years old because they found over time that 18 months wasn't the right age to achieve max immunity ! UGH !
ReplyDeleteMy youngest grandchild has NOT been vaccinated at all yet and he is 18 months old and that also concerns me. I try and keep quiet on the subject but I worry about no protection at all for him. I wonder what will happen when he starts school.
Then I remind myself:
It is up to parents to decide what is best for their families and I'm just praying it will be the right choice !
This is such a personal thing for everyone.. but studies have shown in the last month EVERYWHERE that Autism has NOTHING to do with vaccinations. Yes.. I even believed Jenney McCarthy.. because I like her.. but I do trust studies and Doctors more than a Celebrity.
ReplyDeleteI am all for Vaccines! But.. I do have many friends that are anti.. and it does worry me... but I respect their decisions.
Mumps and Measles are back because of "choices" that are being made.. and I hate it.
My Grandmother always told me that if I lived through some of those diseases ( like Polio ) we would stand in line for DAYS to get our children vaccinated.
We all had vaccines when we were little.. and no one I have ever known or heard of has had anything wrong with them since then..
Do what you feel as a family is best. But.. I am 100% bring it!
I vaccinated my oldest one without a second thought. But something stopped me from having my second little girl vaxed. I didn't do any research, wasn't worried about autism per se, just something in my gut told me to wait. I think it's wonderful to have a doctor who will listen to the mother and trust her instinct on what her child should have and when. I'm at the point with my youngest where I'm ready to start letting her get some of them, and it's so much information to wade through! WAH! I hope I can figure it all out. Yeah right. :)
ReplyDeleteI think the benefits of vaccinations out weigh the risk. It's good that your doctor will listen and work with you.
ReplyDeleteMy personal feelings on vaccines has nothing to do with the issue at hand, which is really, how much mandating will we allow the government and vicariously the school hold us to.
ReplyDeleteApparently a lot. New healthcare bill ring a bell to anyone. Now we get to have forced insurance. I love when my freedoms are taken away. Sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm.
Oh My----I don't know what to tell you. I do know that my friend's daughter decided to homeschool her children because she/they were so opposed to giving the kids those shots.
ReplyDeleteIf that is not an option for you, you need to work things out with your doctor... Maybe the doctor can send a statement saying that your kids have all of the shots needed..... I don't know!
Good Luck..
Hugs,
Betsy
You all have great points, thank you!
ReplyDeleteWe vaccinated our first child but didn't after that one as I didn't feel right about it all. I still get a bit nervous about it but don't think about it most of the time. I think you are smart to think about it rather than just relying that what they(doctors, schools, govt., other parents) say goes.
ReplyDelete