
Every time I go to buy gasoline, I get yelled at by the gas attendant lady.
Apparently, she does not like the fact that I pre-pay when I use cash. Every station is different when it comes to cash, so I just always pre-pay.
The last time she was so mad she was literally shaking. I was worried for a moment that I was sending her into an anxiety attack.
"YOU DON'T HAVE TO PRE-PAY YOU KNOW! she yelled.
"I know, thank you." I said smiling.
"THEN WHY DO YOU DO IT?" she yelled.
"Because I prefer to?" I said, feeling a bit stumped by the question.
She rolled her eyes, gave me a big, "Hummphhh!" and snatched my money.
"Thank you." I said.
My kindness was killing her. Hopefully not literally.
******************
Then at a home improvement store the other day, I ran into the most lackadaisical employee ever. I must have had a sign on my forehead asking who the most lazy person in the store was that day.
I bought a small grill and the wheel came off, twice, as I was wheeling it away.
A woman behind the customer service desk saw it since there was a loud crashing sound and everyone turned to look at me. She said that she would call someone to help. While waiting, another employee thought I was in line so he asked if I needed help. Nice I thought.
I told him the wheel fell off and that someone was coming and he said with a wave of his arm, "Oh those are 100 dollar grills."
He came over to me and said "I could look aallll day to see if there is a better one and they'd all be the same." "They don't hold up to the kind of rolling we do with them." "It's a poor design."
"So you're saying they're cheap?" I asked.
"They are on the lower end, yes." he said.
"Well, whether it's a 100 dollar grill or a 1000 dollar grill, I expect the wheel not to fall off before I get to the car." I said.
And rather than say, "You're right - let me check to see if there is a better one. It should only take 5 minutes of my life that is not mine right now anyway because I represent a company that is paying me to assist its customers." he says...
"Look, the other one is probably just as loose" as he bends down and struggles to take off the wheel.
He's pulling and pulling and then says, "Well, that one does seem to be a little tighter....er, uh..."
So I say, "Then don't you think there are others that are just as tight on both sides??"
and then he says the killer ---wait for it---
"YOU'RE A WOMAN, YOU COULD SPEND $300.00 ON A PAIR OF SHOES."
Me, *blink, blink* "What does that mean??" I ask.
Him, *gulp, gulp*
Is it just me or do you find yourself in wierd situations like these??
*****************
***Before my career as a mother took off with 5 kids, I had a career as a corporate trainer and Director of PR and customer relations. So when it comes to customer service, I feel that I have a pretty good idea of what is exceptional or at the very least, what is decent. I am still somewhat surprised when I run into situations like these, with people that are old enough to know better. Good customer service is hard to come by I guess.
Sometimes I feel like going back into training...
Remind me to tell you the story of the parking lot attendant in Portland...I thought I was going to get beat up...she was scary.***
I'm a woman and I have NEVER in my life paid $300 for shoes. I would have called corporate about that comment!!
ReplyDeleteSometimes I wonder how some sales people get and keep their jobs their attitudes are so horrible. Everyone buying in stores are familiar with these types of dumbfounding "I can't believe you said that" situations, ugh!
ReplyDeleteHaupi
http://hauplight.blogspot.com/
Seriously? He said that? I can't believe that. I have never had such an experience. That's crazy.
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe he dared to say that to you! He is lucky you did not make a big thing over it. He possibly could have lost his job.
ReplyDeleteAre you kidding me?? I hate paying $20 for shoes! That money could go to so many better things! I can't believe he said that!!
ReplyDelete(visiting from nff)
Your first story makes me wonder, are you a cash-only gal? I love that! We tried it for a bit and I think it saved our budget! I should go back to our cash-envelopes. Sorry, that fella was beyond rude!
ReplyDeleteRachel - yes, I am cash-only. We used to have a lot of credit on two incomes. Then we went to one income and still had the debt for two. We decided if we couldn't pay cash, we couldn't afford it. So that has helped the budget!
ReplyDeleteWe carry no credit cards now, even the "emergency only" card is gone.
Unfortunately, you're not rewarded for cash only. Even the banks make it hard- go figure- but once we got used to it, it became easy.
Thanks for the question!
Hilarious! Maybe this is what the "last days" are all about. Not very nice or bright people. I like the "kill them with kindness" tactic. Love you!
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Word.
ReplyDeleteI have never in my life heard anything as insulting as what that guy said to you. How did you keep from attacking him?
Oh my. I cannot believe that guy said that to you! Being English I can honestly say that customer service here is far better and a much more pleasant experience typically but you do seem to have found some good exceptions :-)
ReplyDeleteSo, is it just me or are you tempted to get every future fill-up at her station while she is working, just to prepay in cash with a huge grin and polite conversation every time? Because if it were me, that would probably happen ;)
ReplyDeleteStacy
I am sitting here with my mouth hanging open...unbelievable rudeness and poor customer service !
ReplyDeleteI would not have been as composed as you were about it (KUDOS for your patience even though you must have been exasperated ) I might have even chucked the whole purchase back at him, got a refund and walked out.
Amazing.. but not surprising, unfortunately. Those are the same people who would complain the loudest if they got the same kind of service they offer.
ReplyDelete